Monday, July 16, 2007

The Evangelical Outpost links to a blogger responding to the Hindu prayer in the Senate:

After I watched the video my initial gut reaction was one of "go get em, take one for the team. What's that pagan doing 'praying' in our Senate", but as I sat for several minutes trying to decide how I really should feel about this incident I wonder if my initial reaction was correct. I am familiar enough with political Christian activist to understand their reasoning. They were trying to protect America from this pagan, and one part of me emphasizes with their plight. But does America need protecting from Hindu's or Mormons or JW's or Muslims etc? What I believe about false religions is all over this blog, so it goes without saying that I disagree with this man. However, doesn't our constitution give him as much right to pray to his false godsssssssssssss' as I have to pray to the real one? Honestly I am surprised this is the first time a Hindu has opened the Senate in prayer. These political Christian organizations (which may be an oxymoron, I am still working on that) shout from the rooftops that we have freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. Ultimately, whatever legislation is going to protect us from Hindus is also going to protect them from Christianity. As much as I disagree with Rajan Zed he has a right to pray in spite of the fact that doing so violates the 1st commandment. As well the 3 people arrested have the right to stand on the floor of the Senate and protest. That is what makes our country great.

I will add no commentary at this time, except to point out that this incident provides an interesting opportunity to think about these matters.

No comments: